What is Planning?
The Planning Act (the Act) is provincial legislation that sets out the ground rules for land use planning in Ontario. It describes how land uses may be controlled, and who may control them. The purpose of the Act is to:
- provide for planning processes that are fair by making them open, accessible, timely and efficient
- promote sustainable economic development in a healthy natural environment within a provincial policy framework
- provide for a land use planning system led by provincial policy
- integrate matters of provincial interest into provincial and municipal planning decisions by requiring that all decisions be consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement and conform/not conflict with provincial plans
- encourage co-operation and coordination among various interests
- recognize the decision-making authority and accountability of municipal councils in planning
Who do I contact for help?
The Municipality of Centre Hastings is supported by Hastings County planning staff and all inquiries that are not simple rezoning or minor variance applications should begin with a pre-consultation with Hastings County. All inquires to the municipality must be made through the Request for Service Form above.
What is the hierarchy of planning legislation?
The Planning Act(the Act) is provincial legislation that sets out the ground rules for land use planning in Ontario. It describes how land uses may be controlled, and who may control them.
The Provincial Policy Statement, 2020 (PPS) applies provincewide and contains policy direction related to:
- growth and development
- the use and management of resources
- the protection of the environment
- public health and safety
Municipalities are the primary implementers of PPS policies through:
- official plans
- zoning bylaws
- decisions on other planning matters
The Official Plan provides goals, objectives, policies, and procedures to guide the physical development of Hastings County while having regard for relevant social, economic, and environmental matters.
This Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw is intended to prohibit the use of land and the erection or use of buildings or structures for or except for such purposes as set down in this bylaw; to prohibit the erection or use of buildings on land which is subject to flooding, or on land by reason of its rocky, marshy or unstable character the cost of construction of satisfactory waterworks, sewage, or drainage facilities are prohibitive; to regulate the height, bulk, location, size, floor area, spacing, character, and use of buildings or structures; to regulate the minimum frontage and depth of a parcel of land and the portion of the area thereof that any building or structure may occupy; to require loading and parking facilities for buildings or structures erected or used for certain purposes; to prohibit the making or establishment of pits and quarries within defined areas and to regulate the making or establishment of pits and quarries within defined areas of the municipality.